Residential Service: Purchase

When signing up for a residential account and the property is owned by the customer signing up for service, the customer must sign a service application, provide proof of ownership, and provide their social security number, ITN, or Federal Tax ID number.

Proof of ownership may be:

  • A settlement statement / HUD statement

  • Office Sales agreement contract

  • A tax notice for the property with the customer’s name

  • Homeowner’s insurance policy with name and address of location

  • Deed / Title to property

The application fee will be based on the number of metered services we provide to the residence.

Based on a credit report, a deposit may be required.